Monday, April 7, 2014

We are Farmers

     My husband I just bought our house last year and he promised me this year that I could start my very own garden. I could not wait to start and so of course we had to go to the very first farmer's market this year to get some plants. While there, this very nice old lady gave us advice on what we needed before we started because she believes that it is her job as the expert to train the younger generations so we can pass it on. She suggested that we get some Smart Pots since we were beginners and these help make growing easier and more of a success. Smart Pots are made of cloth that helps circulate air into the roots, reduce weeds, and you can get ones with handles that makes it easier to transport plants when you need to move them. She told us to order them and then come find her at the following Farmer's Market.

      We bought six 10 gallon bags thinking we could fit more and that following weekend we went to the Farmer's Market and saw her. She gave us advice on what to grow and how take care of all the plants. She even gave me a three page list of all the tomato plants she will have this season and told me to look up information about each one. At the end of the day we walked away with tomato, broccoli, spinach, hot pepper, strawberry, parsley, spearmint and oregano plants. We will still be getting more plants as the season goes on and the weather becomes warmer. My poor husband doesn't know what he got himself into, but he is enjoying watching his pepper plants.




   


*We did not plant the tomatoes since it's still chilly, but we are thinking of growing them in straw bails instead.

*It takes a 1 cubic foot bag of dirt for one pot.





This is my vertical herb garden from last year that we are working on replanting since I forgot to cover it for the winter. It's a trellis that has containers attached by zip-ties. Don't forget to make oles in the bottom of the containers if there aren't any.



No comments:

Post a Comment