Sunday, April 13, 2014

Zucoli (Zucchini Ravioli)

       I've been trying to jump on the bandwagon of eating  healthier though it gets difficult when you get those constant comfort food cravings such as ice-cream, candy, cheese, and pasta. It could also be very difficult to eat vegetables when all that other good stuff is staring you in the face. 

      One of my weaknesses is pasta and so I have invested some effort into finding recipes that use alternatives to pasta. Zucchini seems to be a very popular supplement for it and it tastes very similar, except it is a tad crunchier than noodles. I have used zucchini as spaghetti using a spiral slicer and it turned out really well and now that is our go to instead of noodles. When I saw someone using it as ravioli I knew I had to give it a try. So as my husband as my sidekick, we took on the recipe.


Ingredients

1/2 lb of meat (we used jalapeño bratwurst and took the casing off)
2 cloves of garlic
2-3 zucchinis
2 cups of shredded Mozzarella cheese (I probably used more since this is one of my weaknesses)
1 jar of tomato sauce
Seasoning (Basil and Italian)
Some vegetables to go inside the ravioli (we used spinach)
Glass pan
Toothpicks


Step 1:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook meat, garlic, and seasonings together. When it looks about halfway done add your vegetables. 

 Step 2:

Cut thin slices of zucchini. You need 4 for each ravioli. We made 6 raviolis (24 slices of zucchini), but if you want to stuff more filling in yours you can make fewer. Layout your zucchini and place meat mixture in the middle and sprinkle some mozzarella on top. 

 Step 3:

Fold your zucchini and place toothpicks in it to hold it all together. Be gentle as you don't want to break a piece, I did that quite a few times. Put some sauce on the bottom of your pan and then place the Zucolis in it. Once you are done you can add some more of the tomato sauce on top and some mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.



Step 4:

Pull out the toothpicks, serve and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment